Seaside town Seaside town Seaside town


Why would I need this type of service?

An easement will allow use or access over a portion of property to either resolve an existing encroachment issue or preemptively prevent one. Easements are usually granted for one of the following:

  • Ingress/egress – use granted over a portion of land for trespass. It may be limited to a type of trespass (e.g. vehicular versus foot traffic) or include rights such as parking.
  • Landscaping – use granted over a portion of land for plantings, walls, structures or hardscape. This usually grants the right to use and the responsibility to maintain the easement area.
  • Utilities – similar to landscaping, though this type of easement specifies use for installing and maintaining utilities such as electrical lines or drainage. On new construction a project’s approval may be contingent on you granting a utility easement to a government agency.
  • View – an agreement to restrict the height of walls, structures or plantings so as not to impede on a neighbor’s view, or an agreement that walls or plantings remain a certain height so as to maintain privacy.


We will provide a written legal description and exhibit sketch for the proposed easement.


Do you record the documents for us?

Our services do not include recording documents with the city. If needed we can refer you to a land-use attorney familiar with the recording process.

Do I need any additional documentation for recording?

Your attorney will handle any additional documentation or forms that need to be completed.

Does an easement mean I am gaining or losing land?

An easement grants the right to use land for a specific purposes; it does not convey ownership. For more information regarding conveying ownership refer to “Lot Line Adjustment”.